Sunday, July 18, 2010

Pledged Not to Pledge...Or So I Thought

When I began college, I was "pledged not to pledge." I had absolutely no interest in joining a sorority--of course at that point my only point of reference was the movie House Bunny... As formal rush rolled around my friend Jenni kept trying to convince me that I should sign up and just see what I thought. Finally, I relented, figuring that if nothing else, it would help me get to know a few more people on campus. Walking into my first rush party should have required a passport. Everyone was decked out in the same shirt, jeans, shoes, and quite possibly the same underwear. There was singing and small talk and endless heads of blond hair...Ok, while I might be slightly over-exaggerating, I was definitely out of my comfort zone. Yet by the end of the first night, I was excited about joining a sorority. By the end of the week, I had narrowed down my top choice to Theta Phi Alpha and was thrilled when I finally became a sister! From getting my Big to getting my Little, it has truly been one of the best decisions I have ever made. Not only have I gained lifelong friends but I have also gotten a chance to take on new leadership positions and even discover a new hobby--sewing!
My Big and I--wearing my first two creations!

Big/Little Reveal--I became a Big!

Of course as soon as I joined Theta Phi, I wanted to sport my letters around campus. From sweatshirts to t-shirts to canvas bags, I was so proud to be able to wear my letters. The only snafu in the plan was The Greek House. The Greek House is a sketchy store about 5 minutes from campus that sells all of the Greek apparel and also houses a tanning bed (unregistered of course) in the back...I know it is college and the standards are a bit lower but this place is pretty shady! So as I ventured in and looked around I was a little skeptical. As I looked over the shirts, I could see that the stitching was loose, that the letters were not centered, and that in order to buy one I would need to take out another student loan. Turning to my friend Jenni, I jokingly said "You know, I could make one of these shirts myself." And so it all began.

If I am anything, it is strong-willed. Once I get an idea, I am off and running and I won't be stopping until I get what I want--sometimes not such a good thing. This time though, it worked out! After carefully investigating online, I discovered that I only needed a few materials to begin. So off I went to the craft store to buy fabric, shirts, patterns, etc. The first few shirts were certainly nothing to talk about but as I worked on more and more, I actually began to get pretty good. Eventually I braved actually wearing one of my creations and received a few compliments and so I decided to offer my talents up to my Theta Phi sisters.

Offering to sell the t-shirts for half of The Greek Store, I had orders flying at me. I was thrilled but also slightly worried--I didn't want to have people pay me for something I made them that looked like it came from Goodwill. I began the first shirt order with trepidation but as I got going, I was feeling pretty good. Holding up the shirt with the TPA sewed on, I could hardly contain my excitement. It looked good, great even--until I flipped it over and realized I had sewed the back and the front of the shirt together.Fortunately, the only way to go after a start like that is up. While my shirts won't be selling on 5th Avenue anytime soon, I am happy that I have found something that I enjoy doing and that my sisters enjoy wearing!


Two of my favorite shirts I have made so far--I cut up a Vera Bradley napkin for the pattern and even stepped out of my comfort zone and used turquoise thread!


2 comments:

  1. Love it! Okay...this is motivation. I've been wanting to do this myself. Maybe I can talk my sister in law into teaching me how.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I am Megan's mom. (the crazy blooper lady) If you will email me at dsusansmith@comcast.net, I would love to set a time to give you some information about what I do. My website is not quite ready yet (imagine that), but I can still do a webcast with you and give you all the info. After reading your blog, you are just the kind of person I am looking for.
    So, call me at 662-415-1287 or email me at the above address. We do have a tremendous special going on thru midnight Tues., so if you have time before then that would be great!
    Hope to hear from you soon.
    Susan Smith
    Press On!!!

    ReplyDelete